No person shall kindle or maintain any bonfire or rubbish fire or authorize any such fire to be kindled or maintained on public or private property without a permit. During construction or demolition of buildings or structures, no waste material or rubbish shall be disposed of by burning those materials within the City limits without a permit. Any person desiring a permit shall apply to the Fire Prevention Division and comply with the following requirements:
$100,000.00 liability insurance policy must be in effect for persons applying for a burn permit and a copy provided to the Fire Prevention Division at the time of application.
- Burning shall take place no closer than 1,000 feet from any building other than that of the property owner.
- Burning shall take place within a pit a minimum of 15 feet deep.
- A blower shall be used at all times during burning operation.
- Burning shall be limited to 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- An employee shall be present on the site at all times during burning operations.
- If wind conditions are such as to make burning hazardous or to cause smoke to be blown into inhabited areas, the burning must be discontinued.
The specific burn site MUST be approved and strict guidelines followed.
The Fire Prevention Division of the Shreveport Fire Department is responsible for approving this permit. The permit application must be brought IN PERSON to:
Fire Prevention Division
505 Travis Street, Ste. 510
Shreveport, LA 71101
A site plan, plot plan, or other relevant information is necessary prior to approval. In most instances a site inspection made by an Inspector is required before approval is granted. Each permit requires a $50.00 permit fee to be paid at time of application. If the permit is not approved, the fee is returned to the applicant.